Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Forgotten Carols: Handel's Dream by Michael McLean

One of my favorite stories is Michael McLean's Forgotten Carols. If you ever have a chance to see the play, performed at Christmas time, I encourage you to do so. It shares the stories of "minor" characters in the Christmas story--the innkeeper, a shepherd that fell asleep and missed the heavenly announcement, a woman that helps tend to Mary after the birth... in other words "every day people". The story covers their experiences as they come to recognize Christ and I just love each song because I find a piece of myself in them.

In honor of Christmas, I'd like to share a few of my favorite songs from the play, starting with the story of the famous composer Handel, known for his oratorio, Messiah
 

2 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed the music and the book for many years, but this year as a Christmas gift my husband and I were given tickets to see the play. WOW! We were impressed! It all came to life on the stage. This is the 20th Anniversary and Michael spent an additional 20 minutes at the end or the performance telling about how the play has changed and improved over the years. He ended it with a powerful spiritual presence as he played "the carol that will never be forgotten", "Silent Night" on the piano and the entire audience sang it. Hearts were turned to Christ as an increase of love for Him and for one another was felt. Thanks you D & R for the lasting treasure of your gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your experience Mrs. Lisonbee! I agree, to see the play is an experience never to be forgotten!

    ReplyDelete