Friday, October 8, 2010

2 Nephi 32: Enter In By The Way

. . . I suppose that ye ponder somewhat in your hearts concerning that which ye should do after ye have entered in by the way. . . . feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do. . . . again I say unto you that if ye will enter in by the way, and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should doBehold, this is the doctrine of Christ . . . But behold, I say unto you that ye must pray always, and not faint; that ye must not perform any thing unto the Lord save in the first place ye shall pray unto the Father in the name of Christ, that he will consecrate thy performance unto thee, that thy performance may be for the welfare of thy soul (2 Nephi 32: 1, 3, 5-6, 9).


I thought I'd share a study technique I frequently use in my efforts to "liken all scriptures to myself". I highlight action words, verbs, that indicate things the Lord wants us to do. I also highlight words that indicate order, such as before or after and used here in this scripture, "ye ponder . . .that which ye should do after ye have entered in by the way. . .(vs. 1) ".  

The second thing I do to clarify meaning is to underline principles and promises, such as in verse 3, which states the principle and promise, ". . . the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do".

By highlighting and underlining, I find that I'm able to more clearly sift through the language used and find the essence of a scripture. And then, when I want to return to it, at a glance I can see the gist of the verse. Try and and see how you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment